The Rumford Falls Project (FERC No. 2333) is located at river mile 80 on the Androscoggin River in Oxford County in Rumford, Maine. The project consists of the Upper Rumford station constructed in 1918, and Lower Rumford constructed in 1954. The upper station was developed by industrialist, Hugh J. Chisholm to power the town's paper mills. As issued by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the project operates under FERC License No. 2333 by the licensee, Rumford Falls Hydro, LLC. The current license for the Project which was issued on October 18, 1994, expires on September 30, 2024.
Following the Revised Study Plan prepared by Rumford Falls Hydro, LLC, and the public comment period, the FERC issued its study plan determination on August 6, 2020. In summary, six of the seven studies proposed by Rumford Falls Hydro were approved by the FERC without modification and included the Water Quality Study, Angler Creel Survey Study, Impoundment Bass Spawning Survey, Flow Study for Aquatic Habitat Evaluation, Aesthetic Flow Study, and Historic Architectural Survey. The seventh study, the Recreation Study, was approved with FERC staff-recommended modifications. Additionally, a Whitewater Boating Study request prepared by the Town of Rumford was approved with FERC staff-recommended modifications.
Please respect all fencing, signage and safety indications;
they are in place to ensure your safety and that of employees
and consultants working on the project.